John Cage first met Merce Cunningham in 1938 at the Cornish School in Seattle. At the time Cage was married to a woman and the couple allegedly had an open relationship and they were both attracted to the younger male dancer. Cage soon realized he was more attracted to Cunningham than to his wife Xenia and the two soon moved together to New York City. Their first collaboration together was "Credo in Us" in 1942.
Monday, December 15, 2014
X Factor: Merce Cunningham's collaborator----John Cage
JOHN CAGE: John Milton Cage Jr. (September 5, 1912 – August 12, 1992) was an American composer, music theorist, writer, and artist. A pioneer of indeterminacy in music, electroacoustic music, and non-standard use of musical instruments, Cage was one of the leading figures of the post-war avant-garde. Critics have lauded him as one of the most influential American composers of the 20th century. He was also instrumental in the development of modern dance, mostly through his association with choreographer Merce Cunningham, who was also Cage's romantic partner for most of their lives.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I wonder if their personal relationship had to do with the success of their collaborations together? I think energy is such an interesting concept and I feel like their personal attractions lead them to creating works that really developed the other person's art.
ReplyDeleteBoth men had very interesting ideas about music and dance. John Cage had experience in every art type, including painting, poetry, and sculpting. He also worked in his mother's arts and crafts store. I wonder if all of the other artistic influences had an effect on his music.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the comments above! I can imagine their relationship really driving their art and success. With John Cage's expertise on music and Merce Cunningham's dance philosophy, magic was bound to happen! However, I wonder if there were times that made the situation stressful? Sometimes artists can be vulnerable about their work. I am curious to know how they would have handled situations like so.
ReplyDelete