In my opinion, I could accept both of the "after Cunningham dance" and "before Cunningham dance?" Because of the changing times, Whatever dancer or audiences would have some different viewpoints in the DANCE FIELD. Merce Cunningham is just a representative person.
His most key idea is that Movement is expressive and enough beyond any intention. There’s no need to tell a story or reflect something.In my opinion, it is a nice viewpoint. Because before this thought appears, the whole field of art may in a situation that let audiences enjoy the performance should be the most important things. But Merce Cunningham's idea shows that art should respect the art itself. Maybe the dance would let audiences confused or puzzled, but if only the dance shows the spirit of the performance, it is enough. I think choreographer or dancer could explain to the audiences if there is something make them confused.
Another point that i want to talk is about creative freedom. This is another point that claimed by Cunningham. In my opinion, art is the spiritual thing, there should be not a frame or limitation. But maybe before Cunningham claimed this point, some of the dance would be used in some political situation or social things. It may not show the dance itself but also have some other meaning. It would influence the dance's spirit.
This two points is my favorite points so that i like share my thougtht to you guys~ More idea could see in the previous post.

I like his outlook, but I also think people should not be criticized if they want to tell a story to the audience. I think the art of dance is creating something that you personally connect with, no matter what that entails. There should be no limits when one is creating.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your opinion. It is hard for a performer to make sure they have entertain all their audience; however, if a choreographer or a dancer knows how to interpret each of their dance movements into a meaning that would add more value and make more sense for audience to embrace the art. Also, I really like Cunningham's viewpoint of creating freedom out of dance, so dance is nor limited to anything it is like the freedom of speech. we dance however we want it to be.
ReplyDeleteI love that Merce aimed to make the audience question what the piece was about. He was not trying to please the audience. In a review on Merce the writer said he was used to the applause, but he loved when an audience would boo, or just not understand the piece, because he knew then that he had succeeded in his art.
ReplyDeleteI agree with his viewpoint. I believe that art can be a spiritual outlet. I think it was very brave of Cunningham to showcase work with no narrative. Although it was juxtaposing the norm of the time, it let other artists know that boundaries can be pushed. I think he was a huge inspiration to many dancers, choreographers, and composers.
ReplyDelete